More details on selected first-author journal papers are available here.
18. Zhang, M. Ye, P. Giataganas, M. Hughes, A. Bradu, A. Podoleanu, G-Z. Yang, “From Macro to Micro: Autonomous Multiscale Image Fusion for Robotic Surgery,” Robotics and Automation Magazine 2017 [Early Access].
17. S. Zuo, M. Hughes, G-Z. Yang, "Flexible Robotic Scanning Device for Intraoperative Endomicroscopy in MIS," IEEE Trans. Mechatronics 2017 [Early Access].
16. K. Vyas, M. Hughes, D. Leff, G-Z. Yang, "Methylene-blue aided rapid confocal laser endomicroscopy of breast cancer," J. Biomed. Opt. 22(2), 020501 (2017) [PDF]
15. M.Hughes, G-Z.Yang, "Line-scanning fiber bundle endomicroscopy with a virtual detector slit," Biomedical Optics Express 7(6), 2257-68 (2016). [PDF]
14. S. Zuo, M. Hughes, G-Z.Yang, "Novel balloon surface scanning device for intraoperative breast endomicroscopy," Annals of Biomedical Engineering 62(12) 2941-52 (2015). [PDF]
13. T. Chang, D. Leff, S. Shousha, D. Hadjiminas R. Ramakrishnan, M. Hughes, G-Z.Yang, A. Darzi, “Imaging breast cancer morphology using probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy: Towards a real-time intraoperative imaging tool for cavity scanning,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 153(2), 299-310 (2015).
12. S. Zuo, M. Hughes, C. Seneci, T.P. Chang, G-Z.Yang, “Towards intraoperative breast endomicroscopy with a novel surface scanning device,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 62(12) 2941-52 (2015).[PDF]
11. P. Giataganas, M. Hughes, and G-Z.Yang, "Force adaptive robotically assisted endomicroscopy for intraoperative tumour identification," International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (2015) (Runner Up Best Paper at IPCAI 2015.) [Pre-print PDF]
10. M. Hughes and G-Z. Yang, "High speed, line-scanning, fiber bundle fluorescence confocal endomicroscopy for improved mosaicking," Biomedical Optics Express 6, 1241-1252 (2015). [Open Access]
9. M. Hughes, P. Giataganas, and G-Z. Yang, "Color reflectance fiber bundle endomicroscopy without back-reflections," Journal of Biomedical Optics 19(3), 030501 (2014). [PDF]
7. M. Hughes and G-Z Yang, "Perspective - Robotics and smart instruments for translating endomicroscopy to in situ, in vivo applications,"Computerised Medical Imaging and Graphics 36, 589 (2012) [PDF].
6. M. Hughes, M. Spring, and A. Podoleanu, "Speckle noise reduction in optical coherence tomography of paint layers,"Applied Optics 49, 99 (2010) (Also in Virtual Journal of Biomedical Optics 5). [PDF]
5. M. Hughes, D. Woods, and A. Podoleanu, "Control of visibility profile in spectral low-coherence interferometry," Electronics Letters 45, 182 (2009). [PDF]
4. C.Todea, C.Balabuc, C.Sinescu, L.Filip, C.Kerezsi, M.Calniceanu, M.Negrutiu, A.Bradu, M. Hughes, A. Podoleanu, "En face optical coherence tomography investigation of apical microleakage after laser-assisted endodontic treatment," Lasers in Medical Science 25, 629-636 (2009)
3 .M. Hughes, and A. Podoleanu, "Simplified dynamic focus method for time domain OCT," Electronics Letters 45, 623 (2009).[PDF]
2. I. Trifanov, M. Hughes, A. Podoleanu, and R. Rosen "Quasi-simultaneous optical coherence tomography and confocal imaging," Journal of Biomedical Optics 13, 044015 (2008).
1. C. Sinescu, M. Negrutiu, C. Todea, C. Balabuc, L. Filip, R. Rominu, A. Bradu, M. Hughes, and A. Podoleanu, "Quality assessment of dental treatments using en-face optical coherence tomography," Journal of Biomedical Optics 13, 054065 (2008).
Full Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
FC2. G. Dwyer, P. Giataganas, P. Pratt, M. Hughes and G-Z. Yang, "A Miniaturised Robotic Probe for Real-Time Intraoperative Fusion of Ultrasound and Endomicroscopy," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation 2015. (Finalist, Best Medical Robotics Paper) [PDF]
FC1. S. Zuo, M. Hughes, P. Giataganas, C. Senici, T. Chang and G-Z. Yang, "Development of a large area scanner for intraoperative breast endomicroscopy," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation 2014. [PDF]
Other Selected Conferences
C8. K. Vyas, M.Hughes, G-Z. Yang, "Establishing imaging protocol for evaluation of breast cancer margins using high-speed confocal endomicroscopy and methylene blue," Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics, London June 2016. [PDF]
C7. K. Vyas, M.Hughes, G-Z. Yang, "Electromagnetic tracking of handheld high-resolution endomicroscopy probes to assist with real-time video mosaicking," SPIE Photonics West BiOS, San Francisco, Feb 2015 [I supervised this MRes Project]. [PDF]
C6. M. Hughes, G-Z. Yang, "High-speed, quasi-simultaneous white light and line-scan confocal fluorescence endomicroscopy through a single fibre bundle," SPIE Photonics West BiOS, San Francisco, Feb 2015. [Oral]
C5. M.Hughes, P. Giataganas, T. Chang and G-Z. Yang, "GRIN Endomicroscopes for Surgery", Photon 14, Sep 2014. [Upgraded to Invited Oral Presentation]
C4. M. Hughes, T. Chang, P. Giataganas and G-Z. Yang, "Low-cost fluorescence and white-light endoscopic microscopy using fibre bundles and gradient index lenses," Microscience Microscopy Congress 2014. [Poster]
C3. M. Hughes, V. Simaiaki, T. Chang and G-Z.Yang, "Dual mode fibre bundle endomicroscopy: combining reflectance and fluorescence imaging," European Conference on Biomedical Optics 2013, Proc SPIE 879708 (2013). [Oral and Proceedings] [PDF]
C2. M. Hughes, D. Jackson, and A. Podoleanu, "A swept source OCT at 1300 nm with angular compounding for art and archaeological conservation", Proc. SPIE 713917 (2009). [Oral and Proceedings]
C1. H. Liang, B. Peric, M. Hughes, A. Podoleanu, M. Spring, and S. Roehrs, "Optical Coherence Tomography in archaeological and conservation science-a new emerging field," Proc. SPIE 713519 (2008). [Proceedings]
1. M. Hughes, "Optical Coherence Tomography for Art and Archaeological Conservation: Methods and Applications," PhD Thesis, University of Kent 2010. [PDF].